What Are the Different Types of Movement Joints For Floorboards in the UK?

Spread the love

In general, you will find three types of movement joints in UK. The first is known as a slip joint which is usually fitted between two aluminium poles. The second is known as the through and not through movement joints and these are usually fitted between timber beams. The third type is known as the brazed joint and it is mainly used to join steel bars or beams.

Domestic Flooring Industry – Types and Applications of Movement Joints

Each of the three flooring movement joints described above has its own merits and demerits. For example, the through movement joint has fewer moving parts than the other two and therefore it is a little bit easier to maintain. On the other hand, the through motion requires more materials and it requires more support. The through flooring movement joints are also more prone to fatigue failure. If these are not maintained properly, the stresses can lead to catastrophic fatigue failure. This is one of the main reasons why industrial flooring experts suggest you do not use this type of joint for your industrial flooring.

When you are choosing your industrial flooring movement joints, you should always remember to include an expansion joint between the beams and the floor joist. This joint increases the useful life of your beams and joist. Most manufacturers will advise you to buy extra bolts and washers to ensure the expansion joints are correctly fitted.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.